Friday, January 27, 2012

Turkey Sandwich

A couple weeks ago my friend and I were driving back from the Passion 2012 Conference in Atlanta, GA.  We were processing and talking through all that happened and started talking about temptation.  This is when God put in my mind of relating temptation to a turkey sandwich. (Which if you know me at all is not surprising that I would relate something to food)

Temptation.  It is always going to be out there.  Different people struggle with different temptations.  To cheat on a test, to lust after someone, to drink to the point of drunkenness, to lie.  There are tons upon tons of temptations out in the world trying to throw us off track.  You know what the amazing thing about that is?  There is only one God, and He can help us overcome them all.  If we are filled up on the Lord's love then temptation will seem microscopic and unattractive.  Like John Piper's talk focused around at Passion, if our heart is big then our sin seems small and we can swallow it.

Say sin, or temptation, is a turkey sandwich and the Word is the Word.  If you are not fulfilling and satisfying your hunger in the Word than you are going to be starving, and rightly so.  You will be starving for direction and completion in life.  If you are starving, your perception is thrown off and you start to look towards anything in reach to satisfy your hunger and desires.  If you are not in the Word how long do you think you can resist that turkey sandwich?  If you are that hungry, anything will start to look good, especially temptation.  Your body needs nourishment but where are you going to get it?

"As a deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, God." 
- Psalm 42:1

"God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water."
 - Psalm 63:1 

No comments:

Post a Comment